The Single Mothers' Alliance is the primary litigant in a charter challenge regarding access to justice in family law for survivors of gender-based violence. For more information about Single Mothers' Alliance v BC please click here.
- Increase funding for family law legal aid, raise the income cut-off for eligibility, and significantly increase the number of hours available per case.
- Fund and implement comprehensive, community-based, wrap-around supports with no time limits for those escaping gender-based family violence.
- Develop a framework and model for implementing domestic violence courts (DVCs) in BC and design a pilot project to immediately test the model.
- Provide an initial lump sum payment equivalent to four months of income assistance for all those escaping gender-based family violence when they apply for assistance, and exempt them from the Expected to Work category for one year as recommended in the Expert Panel on Basic Income report.
- Reduce the number of homicides of women and children as a result of gender-based domestic violence 50% by 2024.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with