WE KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE
As many of us know through our daily experience, we can experience debilitating social isolation for a variety of reasons. Poverty, lack of affordable transportation, work, and the demands of lone-parent child rearing all contribute to stressful lives focused on surviving, not thriving. More than anything, however, we need each other.
You are not alone. There are over 119,000 of us in BC--other women who struggle with the same challenges you do, on a daily basis. Why do so many of us feel so isolated from different forms of community support? That needs to be addressed. The key right now is to find each other, and to truly connect. At SMA, we do this through our community organizing and collective action towards change.
HOW DOES THE SINGLE MOTHERS' ALLIANCE HELP?
This website is a community engagement platform hosted by the SMA to help single mothers anywhere in BC make connections, strengthen support networks and increase community belonging. With the use of this site, we can connect, collaborate, and organize anywhere in BC. It is your individual tool, and our collective tool.
HOW CAN I USE THIS SITE TO CREATE AND FIND COMMUNITY?
SMA members can use this site to:
- Start any kind of group or on-going event you wish for single mothers.
- Schedule, advertise and recruit participants for your event.
- Find and locate other single mothers interested in starting a meet-up, event, or group with you.
- Whether you live in Trail, Prince Rupert, Surrey, or anywhere in BC, you can use this site to start something in your area; this site can provide geographical calendars of any kind.
- For more info on the functions of this site, please contact us at email@example.com.